What to do with an old yoga mat
The time has finally come to say goodbye to my trusty old yoga mat. Now over 10 years old it is definitely showing its age. Once a bright, thick, cushioned 5mm mat it is now a very scruffy old yoga mat which is barely 2mm thick.
Still it has been with me for so long (since I first discovered yoga) I have become a little attached to it and it seems a shame to simply throw it away. Also unfortunately it is not one of the great new environmentally friendly yoga mats that you can now buy. As it is not a biodegradable yoga mat I do not want to simply throw it out only to have it end up on a landfill somewhere.
So I had a think about what it could be used for and came up with a few ideas, then I did some research to see what other people did with their old yoga mats. Here is a list of what I thought were the best suggestions - earth-conscious ways to reuse an old yoga mat when it is time for a new one.
Feel free to add your own suggestions to the list!
Children will love them!
- Use your old yoga mat to sleep on when you go camping
- Donate your old yoga mat to homeless shelters for homeless people to use as sleeping pads.
- Use an old yoga mat at soccer games or anywhere you need to sit to keep you from sitting in the wet grass or mud.
- It’s also good to use a yoga mat as extra cushioning when you are lying on the beach.
Keep one in the Car
- Cut your old yoga mat into circles and make into frisbees; cut holes in your yoga mat to create masks, hats, costumes and props; cut into shapes and letters for bathtub and pool toys.
- An old yoga mat is also excellent to put down before kids play with play dough and other messy projects because it will make cleaning up a lot easier.
- You can also cut an old yoga mat into squares and use as "bases" while playing baseball with the kids.
- When travelling with a toddler you can pop an old yoga mat into the bath to stop babies from slipping in the travel bath.
- Or shred it up and put the shreds under the swing or at the bottom of the slide for a soft landing.
Animals like yoga mats too!
- Use an old yoga mat as a car protector when transporting animals to stop them sliding around and prevent damage to the seats.
- You can also use your old yoga mat as a boot liner when transporting messy items such as a toolbox’s or plants.
- Place an old yoga mat over the dashboard to protect it on a hot sunny day.
- Keeping an old yoga mat in the car is also great for those spur of the moment picnics as gives you something soft to sit on.
In the garden
- Drop your old yoga mat to an animal rescue shelter as a soft, durable mat to line animal pens.
- Cut a yoga mat up and put down under the kitty litter box or cat/dog dishes to stop them sliding around.
- Put an old yoga mat in your cat's or dog's carry cage when you go to the vet
- Place an old yoga mat into the sink or tub when you give your pet a bath (it will help to keep them from slipping)
- An old yoga mat with a soft blanket on top make a nice bed for your dog.
Around the house
- Use your old yoga mat to cover and smother weeds in your garden.
- Cut your old yoga mat up and make knee pads to keep you comfortable when kneeling in the garden.
- Use an old yoga mat as a liner for pot plants to stop them leaving water marks.
- Cut your yoga mat up to stick onto the bottom of furniture to stop it sliding or scratching a wood or ceramic floor.
- Place your old yoga mat under a rug to hold it in place preventing slips and falls.
- Thoroughly clean your old yoga mat and use it in the kitchen to line kitchen shelves to hold glasses in place
- Cut your yoga mat into small squares and use as grip pads to open jars.
- Drape a yoga mat over furniture to protect when moving or place a yoga mat between two bits of furniture as cushioning.
- An old yoga mat is also perfect for glassware or anything else that you don't want chipped, broken, or otherwise damaged. Simply cut into the appropriate sizes, wrap then up and rest assured that they will be safe.
- Use an old yoga mat as padding when lying on garage floor to work on your car.
- Cut your old yoga mat and place on the workshop bench to stop wood slipping off while using power tools to cut it.
- Maybe you have an amateur musician in your family and your garage has become a music studio for a garage band. You can hang several mats up on the walls for colorful and effective soundproofing.
- An old yoga mat can also be tacked to the back of an upright piano for the same purposes
Well there you have it, just a few ideas for how to give that old yoga mat a second career. You can probably think of many others – feel free to add to the list! So what did I end up using mine for.... Well we just recently moved out of our house while doing renovations and the old yoga mat was the perfect protection for our furniture cushioning it in the moving truck and is now covering and protecting it while in storage. Once we move back in it will definitely not be going to waste.... I now have lots of other plans for my trusty old yoga mat.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.